- 1). Plug your USB drive or external hard drive into an available port on your PC computer.
- 2). Click "Open Folder to View Files" on the prompt that appears and then click "OK" to access your external hard drive or USB drive. If the prompt does not appear, click "Start" then "My Computer." Locate your external hard drive or USB drive under "Devices with Removable Storage" and click on it.
- 3). Drag and drop any files you want to transfer from your PC to your laptop from its existing location into the new window. You can also copy and paste files into this folder if you choose not to drag and drop.
- 4). Safely remove the USB drive or external hard drive from your computer. Using "My Computer," right click on the drive and select "Eject." Alternatively, you can right click on the USB drive icon in task bar and select the "Safely Remove Hardware" option.
- 5). Plug the USB drive or external hard drive into an available port on the laptop you wish to transfer your data to.
- 6). Open the folder associated with the drive with the same instructions from Step 2. Copy and paste or drag and drop the files into their new location on your laptop. Before removing the drive, be sure to safely remove it again.