- 1). Jack up the rear end of your Camry, and put jack stands in place.
- 2). Crawl beneath the rear end and locate the neutral safety switch. It will be located on the lower side of your transmission on the driver's side.
- 3). Remove the hex-shaped nut mounting it to the side of the transmission with the socket set.
- 4). Unplug the neutral safety switch from its wiring harness once the switch has been unbolted from the side of the transmission.
- 5). Ready the drain pan beneath the safety switch port. When you remove the switch from the port, transmission fluid will be released. Pull the safety switch from its port.
- 6). Plug in the plug end of the new safety switch back into its port quickly, so as not to lose too much fluid.
- 7). Plug the wire harness into the back of the new neutral safety switch.
- 8). Mount the new safety switch back to the side of the transmission by replacing the mounting bolt.
- 9). Remove the jack stands and lower your Camry.
Open the hood, start your engine and check the automatic transmission fluid level. If it is low, turn off your engine and add a quart.
How to Replace a Neutral Safety Switch on a 1985 Toyota Camry